Mayfair is a Leader-in-Me school. Leader-in-Me is a student leadership program that focuses on cultivating healthy mindsets amongst our community, staff and students. The healthy habits it seeks to instill include:
1. Be Proactive: “I am a responsible person. I take initiative. I choose my actions, attitudes, and moods. I do not blame others for my wrong actions. I do the right thing without being asked, even when no one is looking.” -You’re in Charge of You!
2. Put First Things First: “I plan ahead and set goals. I do things that have meaning and make a difference. I am an important part of my classroom and contribute to my school’s mission and vision. I look for ways to be a good citizen.” -Have a Plan!
3. Begin With the End in Mind: “I spend my time on things that are most important. This means I say no to things I know I should not do. I set priorities, make a schedule, and follow my plan. I am disciplined and organized.” -Work First, Then Play!
4. Think Win-Win: “I balance courage for getting what I want with consideration for what others want. I make deposits in others’ Emotional Bank Accounts. When conflicts arise, I look for third alternatives.” -Everyone Can Win!
5. Seek First to Understand then to be Understood: “I listen to other people’s ideas and feelings. I try to see things from their viewpoints. I listen to others without interrupting. I am confident in voicing my ideas. I look people in the eyes when talking.”-Listen Before You Talk!
6. Synergize: “I value other people’s strengths and learn from them. I get along well with others, even people who are different than me. I work well in groups. I seek out other people’s ideas to solve problems because I know that by teaming with others we can create better solutions than anyone of us can alone. I am humble.” -Together Is Better!
7. Sharpen the Saw: “I take care of my body by eating right, exercising and getting sleep. I spend time with family and friends. I learn in lots of ways and lots of places, not just at school. I find meaningful ways to help others.” -Balance Feels Best!
Mayfair embraces Leader-in-Me as leadership program. Its habits sustain a school culture focused on teaching, learning, and student agency.
For additional information, please visit: http://www.theleaderinme.org/