Mayfair’s mission is to expose its students to educational opportunities grounded in multiculturalism in order to develop all students as critical thinkers with a global perspective while providing a safe, nurturing learning environment and building leadership capacity.
Mayfair is an International Baccalaureate (IB) school. This means that learning at Mayfair focuses not only on what students learn, but also how they learn. The IB program is an approach that focuses on students and encourages reflection, service, and learning in context.
· Knowledge: Students learn School District of Philadelphia content in each subject based on the PA State Standards.
· Concepts: Students apply important ideas that have significance in any place and time. These concepts are presented in the form of questions (inquiry).
· Skills: Students develop their thinking, social interactions, communication, self-management, and research skills.
· Attitudes: Students embody healthy values, beliefs and feelings towards learning.
· Action: Students work to impact change in the world as global citizens.
· Approaches to Learning (ATL): Students are challenged to “learn how to learn”, develop good study habits, critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
· Health and Social Education (HSE): Students develop respect for body and mind. They learn to make good decisions about their own lives.
· Community and Service (CS): Students have opportunities to take their learning outside of the classroom into the school and community.
For additional information, please visit: http://www.ibo.org/